Friday, January 7, 2011

Books 129: Confessions of Georgia Nicholson Series



While the movie Angus, Thongs, & Perfect Snogging starring heartthrob Aaron Johnson may be quite popular, some might be slightly surprised to learn that it's actually the film adaptation of the first two books in the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison (Angus, Thongs, & Full-Frontal Snogging and On the Bright Side I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God).

The reason I decided to start reading this series was because I was completely sick and tired of all my free time being sucked up by reading my incredibly dull U.S. history textbook, and needed something completely opposite. What could be more opposite than a series written pretty much exclusively for teenage girls? So I figured, what the heck, I'll try this series out.

The books are written in the format of the diary of the main character Georgia, which also makes it a relatively quick and easy read. Georgia goes through the same worries as many girls: her looks, her friends, bullies, boys, parents, school, and her alarmingly growing bazoomas. (She's also fabulously British, and all of the slang she uses is pretty amusing.) There's also her mad cat Angus, who frequently terrorizes the neighbor's small dog, and her baby sister Libby, who makes a mess of everything she touches.

I mean, the books obviously not meant to be something incredibly deep, intellectual, or insightful, but boy are they entertaining! The series is humorous, witty, and clever. But most importantly, it's just... well... fun! If you're craving a simple yet delightful read, this series might be for just what you're looking for.

3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing except I read Confessions of a Shopaholic series to relax my brain but looking at this I so want to read those now! Anything to get me away from all the nonfiction we're reading right now.

    P.S. Don't judge but if you're looking for an easy & funny book that's a quick read that you'll want to re-read, get Diary of a Wimpy Kid. One school night I borrowed from my little sister and read it in an hours time, laughing through it the whole time. It definitely gets rid of the school blues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were fun for so long..but then after awhile..I felt it was one big commercial to get to the next book. I do like her characters and dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the accent she puts in these. Silly at times, but still fun.

    ReplyDelete