Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Music 143: Miike Snow

So there are a few things you need to know about Miike Snow: they are a Swedish band composed of three guys (Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, and Andrew Wyatt) none of whom are called Miike (let alone with two i's in the name). So where did they get such a strange band name? It turns out that it is from a friend whose name is Miike Snow, Miike coming from a japanese origin.

Miike Snow formed in 2007 in Stockholm, Sweden. They only really became popular in America during 2010 though, half a year after their debut album dropped here.

So what is so great about this band? Never have I heard a band so fun and well...heart warming. They have been described as having an electronic/indie pop feel to them but that is not the thing that gets you hooked. It is their music as a whole. It's their catchy beats, sweet lyrics, and smooth singing. It's the fact that each of their songs is unique in its own way.

Example: when I first heard their song Animal in the car a year or so ago I couldn't believe it. It was love at first hearing. It started out with this strange thumping and let straight into lyrics like this: I change shapes just to hide in this place but I'm still, I'm still an animal. I was mesmerized. So sit back and relax and listen to some of their greatest tunes:

1) Animal



2) Song For No One



3) Black and Blue


So what do you think?

You can buy Miike Snow's debut album here.

1 comment:

  1. This is why I love Mix Tape. I get to discover completely amazing new bands! I seriously love the sound of them. :D Off to go buy all these songs on iTunes...

    ReplyDelete